Tuesday 8 April 2014

The smell of Cycling

With a new leaf to be turned assessing my current work hiatus, I thought I'd use some of the time to keep myself positive and get back to normality. One thing that does not occur in the back of your mind when commuting to London (sat down/perched on someone elses arm rest/the bin area is also the bag storage zone) is the amount of time you spend sat in front of the computer. When you do get home your no longer capable of exercise for the train journey has rattled you to pieces and work has burned your memory to concentrate on anything useful.

Therefore; after seven months of commuting even though I was carrying a 3.5Kg laptop on a 2.5 mile walk everyday in each direction between the train and home/office, I have found I've turned into more fat, the so called muscles (some people are always going to be stronger than me) I had no longer existed. Which set me thinking, maybe I could do some exercise to break up the week and reintroduce some positives of this odd 'free' time.

Today was the first time I've been out on the bike around town covering Tunbridge Wells, Groombridge and High Rocks. A nice little route a friend suggested which was approx. 6 miles - (my speedo is flat or its not realised I'm interested again). I knew it would hurt, the first one after a slightly longer than usual winter break (it's been wet) always hurts/it's always too windy/it's always nervy and I suddenly don't like how busy town is. So when I got on the country lanes and tracks of NCN Route 18 out of Groombridge back to RTW, I was quite happy until the big down hill into Groombridge became a gradual climb back out the otherside. I was physically...inconsulable, especially as I had to use most of my gears to do hills I used to pretty much cruise over. Finding the rhythm and breathing consistently is key, not being stressed about whats around the corner and how long is the hill is key to a good mind set so you don't burnout on the way round.

After all this hard work and getting off the bike as I was partially lost in RTW Common/High Rocks little lanes -I did the same hill twice! - I got home and could smell my old school Design and Technology Lab... slightly burnt wood from cutting, fresh MDF shavings, perspex glue and a distinct aroma of P38. I think the neighbours are still doing the building work. Nothing like good memories of D.T days to take me off the cycling for a while, it's good stuff, all round cycling and past times from D.T days.

I yet to convince myself - but I do know that what it costs me in alcohol is the same as a years Tennis Membership, not economically better, but certainly the mind, body and soul could be if I quit drinking and did exercise instead (just one part to a bigger story).
Burn those extra calories sat on my tummy/swap them from lazy fat to lean muscle engines.

Don't be poking my tummy now, I didn't know I was so squidgy :-P  - you know who you are!

2 comments: